Friday 22 June 2018

Eve of Man - by Giovanna & Tom Fletcher

Title: Eve of Man
Author: Giovanna & Tom Fletcher
Published: 31 May 2018
Series: Eve of Man Trilogy #1
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis:

AGAINST ALL ODDS, SHE SURVIVED.
THE FIRST GIRL BORN IN FIFTY YEARS.
THEY CALLED HER EVE . . .

All her life Eve has been kept away from the opposite sex. Kept from the truth of her past.
But at sixteen it's time for Eve to face her destiny. Three potential males have been selected for her. The future of humanity is in her hands. She's always accepted her fate.
Until she meets Bram.
Eve wants control over her life. She wants freedom.
But how do you choose between love and the future of the human race?


I listened to this as an audiobook but kept up in my physical copy.

I love this Fletcher family so much and they are so very talented. I was excited to read this book as the synopsis sounded very interesting, plus I was eager to see how they would write together.

The book was well written and I couldn't stop listening. The narrators also did a wonderful job. I loved the voice of the person who narrated Bram, and the person who narrated Eve reminded me a little of the actress Natalie Dormer who plays Irene Adler in the TV show "Elementary".

My first question was how old is Holly? Eve was the first one born in fifty years, so where did Holly come from? This gets explained as Holly is a hologram type of program with 3 different sets of operators - one set being Bram and Hartman. Hartman also reminded me a little of Ron Weasley in the way that he spoke.

The way that Eve's situation was described reminded me a bit of the royals - having suitable partners chosen for you to pick from, the public watching in amazement and wonder, the tight security measures, the isolation you're forced into... I do feel sorry for the way Connor's first impression went though.

I did love the way that the Drop was described though and made me sort of wish I could jump into the book experience it for myself. In my mind, the Freevers also called themselves that as it's short for "the Free Eve-ers". It might not actually be, but I'm going to keep on thinking that as it sort of makes sense in my head.

The ending was so lovely too. A little cheesy, but still quite cute.

Spoilers!

I teared up at Mother Nina's funeral. She was so loving and kind and shouldn't have died. But she did it to save Eve, who she love like she was her own daughter.

It also makes me sad that Bram was abused by his father, but it also explains the way that he acts around him and also with the way he treats his father during the book too.

Is Bram's Dad using Vivian like Holly's being used? A hologram type of projection program? Or is she actually a real person?

I did have a moment of wondering if Bram's mother was Ben, but I'm still not too sure whether I believe that or not yet.

When I was right about guessing who the informant was, I was quite proud of myself. I'd guessed that it was either going to be one of the Mothers or Hartman. Mother Cardi was the informant and was also married to Frost from the Freevers, who sacrificed himself to save Ernie and everyone else who was in the house - which I also teared up at.

Last question though: Were the little humans in the glass things in the Doctor's lab Eve's babies? And if so, were they all baby boys? I'd sort of like to think so, but I could also be very wrong. It does make me sad to think of all those little beings in glass tubes being prodded and not being laid to rest in one way or another though.

End Spoilers!

__________________________________________________

All books in this series:

    1 | Eve of Man
    2 | The Eve Illusion

No comments:

Post a Comment