Wednesday 2 May 2018

The Last Academy - by Anne Applegate

Title: The Last Academy
Author: Anne Applegate
Published: 30 April 2013
Series: -
Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis:
What is this prep school preparing them for?
Camden Fisher arrives at boarding school haunted by a falling-out with her best friend back home. But the manicured grounds of Lethe Academy are like nothing Cam has ever known. There are gorgeous, preppy boys wielding tennis rackets, and circles of girls with secrets to spare. Only . . . something is not quite right. One of Cam's new friends mysteriously disappears, but the teachers don't seem too concerned. Cam wakes up to strangers in her room, who then melt into the night. She is suddenly plagued by odd memories, and senses there might be something dark and terrible brewing. But what? The answer will leave Cam—and readers—stunned and breathless, in this thrilling debut novel.


I listened to this as an audiobook.

There is nothing worse than someone knowing you like somebody.

I hadn't heard about this book before but the synopsis sounded interesting so I decided that I would give it a try.

I wanted to die. I continued to want to die all the way across the soccer field, and the baseball diamond, past the pool and the tennis courts, along the theatre, and down to Kelser House.

The picture that appeared in my head when Cam talked about the milk dispenser at the boarding school was quite amusing. Or should I say, a-moo-sing!

The flashes that Camden occasionally sees - like the duct tape over someone's mouth or stitches along someone's collar bone - was quite an interesting twist and I was wondering where it was going to lead to. It was all explained in the end though.

Trying to figure out the location of any given teenager on campus over the weekend, might as well get yourself a cowboy hat and take up cat herding. I mean, you'd be less frustrated.

When Camden asked Barnaby Charon That Question? Wow. That put a shock through my system. I wasn't expecting that. I was maybe thinking something similar, but not that.

Spoilers!

I cried when we found out that Mark died as a baby from SIDS. I thought the baby clothes had been from a baby brother his Mum lost or something, but I think my heart would have preferred that over the reality.


I had the same reaction when Camden went through the scrapbook of her friends deaths too. Along with Tammy's not-so death.


End Spoilers!

No comments:

Post a Comment