Wednesday 9 May 2018

Lair of Dreams - by Libba Bray

Title: Lair of Dreams
Author: Libba Bray
Published: 25 Aug 2015
Series: The Diviners #2
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis:
After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O’Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. With her uncanny ability to read people’s secrets, she’s become a media darling, earning the title “America’s Sweetheart Seer.” Everyone’s in love with the city’s newest It Girl…everyone except the other Diviners.
Piano-playing Henry DuBois and Chinatown resident Ling Chan are two Diviners struggling to keep their powers a secret—for they can walk in dreams. And while Evie is living the high life, victims of a mysterious sleeping sickness are turning up across New York City.
As Henry searches for a lost love and Ling strives to succeed in a world that shuns her, a malevolent force infects their dreams. And at the edges of it all lurks a man in a stovepipe hat who has plans that extend farther than anyone can guess…As the sickness spreads, can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld to save the city?


Evie: I've spent the last two hours worried that you were bleeding o death in a ditch. Now that I know you're okay, I just want you bleeding to death in a ditch.
Sam: Aww, Lamb Chop, you missed me.

I listened to this book as an audiobook.

The sleeping sickness was an interesting thing to red about, and it reminded me a bit of Freddie Kreuger.

George was so sweet that I just wanted to cuddle him. It was nice to see that Ling's parents were a mixed couple - her mother was Irish and her father was Chinese. It was nice to see all the main characters that we'd been introduced to meet each other too and how they interacted.

January LaVoy does such a great job as the narrator. Every time she did the dream voice or the creepy ghost voices, I literally needed to turn a light on as I was starting to get that creeped out. But when she had to sing was absolutely beautiful, especially the Slumberland song. I did also nearly forget that Adelaide Proctor existed though which I was a little miffed at myself for.

I do have a question though, what's with the Goodly Heritage people? They've been mentioned a few times and I'm beginning to wonder why.

Reading about Nora and was super creepy too! I could just be turning into a bit of a wuss by now instead though.

It's good that there were multiple sayings from the time period too - such as "it's the elephant's eyebrows", "you're the berries", "let's ankle", and "nothing doing".

I loved getting to see Henry's backstory and Will's past though as it made me connect with those characters a bit more.

Spoilers!

I didn't cry when Louie was leaving, but I did tear up quite a bit. I'd guessed that he was maybe dead, but I didn't want to believe it.


I also guessed that Wai-Mae was dead and the lady with the veil too. Quite glad I got that one right. But I also guessed that Blind Bill was the cursed man in the story that he was telling, and by now I feel like that was sort of easy to guess.


End Spoilers!


__________________________________________________

All books in this series:

    1 | The Diviners
    2 | Lair of Dreams
    3 | Before the Devil Breaks You
    4 | The King of Crows

No comments:

Post a Comment