Friday 15 May 2020

Enchantée - by Gita Trelease

Title: Enchantée
Author: Gita Trelease
Published: 21 Feb 2019
Series: Enchantée #1
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis:
Paris in 1789 is a city filled with beggars, thieves, revolutionaries - and magicians...
Seventeen-year-old orphan Camille has to provide for her frail sister and her volatile brother. They survive by using the pretty magic she learnt from their mother - transforming scrap material into coins. But when things take a turn for the worse, Camille must pursue a more dangerous mark: the glittering court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette's Versailles.
Using magic, Camille transforms herself into a glamorous Baroness. But as she is swept up into a dizzying world of riches and finery, suitors and revolutionaries, Camille soon discovers that she's not the only one leading a double life.

I listened to this as an audiobook.

I loved the way that the narrator, Justine Eyre, pronounced the French words that were mentioned as, at least to my untrained ears, it sounded like someone French was speaking the words.

This was the first book I have read by Gita Trelease and I really like the way that she explained the world building and what was going on around the character in France. I did get a little confused between characters sometimes though, possibly because of the French names, but I was able to keep pace with the story by what was happening to each character to keep them apart from one another.

This book reminded me a little bit of the story of Cinderella -- a young girl who simply wants to go to the ball to escape her life at home and the troubles that keep her there; a girl who is able to find love in another world and become a part of it, though she wasn't born into it; a girl who is able to find friendship and her happily ever after in either of the worlds she sees.

I did guess that Lazare may have also been putting on a disguise to deal with his day to day life and I was both right and wrong. Camille's brother, however, was the one character I hated from the very start because of the way that he treated his sisters and how no matter what they gave to him it was still never enough to satisfy him.

Another thing that I really liked about this book was that there was a gay couple in Camille's inner circle but it wasn't treated as a big scandal or anything like that -- it was treated as a normal thing! I know that wouldn't be historically accurate, but I also didn't really care as they made a cute pair and it worked within the story.

I'm also not sure which cover I like more, the one pictured or the one with the face on the cover as I do like them both.

                                                  

All books in this series:

    1 | Enchantée
    2 | Liberté

No comments:

Post a Comment