Wednesday 13 March 2019

The Dark Unwinding - by Sharon Cameron

Title: The Dark Unwinding
Author: Sharon Cameron
Published: 27 Aug 2012
Series: The Dark Unwinding #1
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis:
When Katharine Tulman's inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London. Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she grows to care for deeply. And her choices are made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a secretive student, and fears for her own sanity. As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle's world at stake, but also the state of England as Katharine knows it. With twists and turns at every corner, this heart-racing adventure will captivate readers with its intrigue, thrills, and romance.

Lane: Do you want to quit?
Katharine: No.
Lane: Good. Because you haven't really tried yet. Come on

I listened to this as an audiobook.

This book was actually sort of a surprise to me as I did think I'd like this one, but I liked it even more than I thought. I liked how things looked like magic but were most definitely science and mechanisms, even if you didn't know the intricate details of how they worked.


Davey was my absolute favourite character (plus Bertram, of course). Plus Mariana even though she has been long since dead at the start of this book - just because of what she did. Lane seemed like a fairly nice guy though, apart from his temper.

I hate to be that person, but I still think that Lane and Katharine would make a cute couple, even thought they're not even a couple.


Neither does your uncle belong in a lunatic cell merely for the crime of being created differently from his fellows

I loved Katharine's strength, courage and confidence when she called all the men over for an emergency meeting. Especially when the doctor can't seem to meet her gaze.

It's good that Mr Tully finally learned to change a little bit, but still mostly within his comfort zone. Also when Lane and Katharine taught Mr Tully that when people 'go away' then sometimes they only want to remember them in their head, but they taught him in a way that he would understand.

I like that in the end Katharine became a little less strict about certain things in life. Reading about Aunt Alice breaking all the things inside while Katharine and Mr Babcock sat out on the front step was quite amusing though!


And as surely as I had understood not five minutes earlier that our game was over, I now knew with just as much certainty that Lane had never been playing game at all. he had not been pretending. And God help me, neither had I

Spoilers!

I loved that Davey could read and talk, just that he was unwilling to when other people were around. It took the entire book, but I also loved that we got to find out that the laughter at the start was probably Davey.

It was sad when Katharine and Lane were up at Davey's grave in his secret spot though. Davey held so many secrets about so many things that I felt bad for the little boy. Especially when he lost Bertram. But the way that Little Davey shows her that she's been being poisoned was sort of cute.

I'm interested to know if Mr Babcock loved Mariana when they were younger and when she was alive? That would have been kinda of cute, I think - to have seen them interacting and working together.


I had a guessing spree in the span of maybe one minute where I thought Mrs Jeffries, Mary Brown and Ben Aldridge could all be the poisoner. Turns out I was right about Ben in the end though - except that I didn't guess that he wanted to blow up the ships - I believed his lies too.

End Spoilers!

__________________________________________________

All books in this series:

    1 | The Dark Unwinding
    2 | A Spark Unseen

No comments:

Post a Comment