Wednesday 26 December 2018

A Mother's Confession - by Kelly Rimmer

Title:A Mother's Confession 
Author: Kelly Rimmer
Published: 28 Oct 2016
Series: -
Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis:
'He’s dead and I’m safe, but I’m still scared. Sometimes I actually miss him, but then in the very next breath I find that I hate him so much that I hope there is a hell, just so that he can be suffering like he left me here to suffer.' 
Olivia and David were the perfect couple with their whole lives in front of them. When beautiful baby daughter Zoe came along, their world seemed complete. 
But now David is dead and Olivia’s world is in pieces. While she is consumed with grief, her mother-in-law Ivy is also mourning the loss of her son. Both women are hiding secrets about the man they loved. Secrets that have put the family in danger. 
Something was very wrong in Olivia and David’s marriage. Can Olivia and Ivy break their silence and speak the truth? A mother should protect her child, whatever the cost…shouldn’t she?


Trigger Warning: domestic violence

I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

There is a good theme in this one - each new day is a new start. It also shows what domestic violence looks like from two points of view. Also the feeling of 'anyone can snap in a second' was interesting at the end.

Things I didn't really like? Sebastian seemed to be stereotypically mushy, plus the long conversation in Natasha's office felt like an information dump, I didn't like the slow build up either as it felt like it was a little bit too slow.

Things I did like? Natasha as a whole. The way that she cared and didn't rush Olivia in the way that she needed to heal. She was probably my favourite character for this reason. Also the twist at the end when we find out about Zoe was something I liked.

At one stage I did think that Ellen the childcare worker was going to kidnap Zoe, but I was gladly proven wrong.

Spoilers!

My guess is that David's mother was the entire reason for his behaviour.

Finding out that Zoe was possibly Sebastian's because Olivia cheated on her husband was interesting to find out because I wouldn't have pictured Olivia as a character cheating on anyone.

Even though I called it towards the end, finding out that Zoe was dead the entire book was a surprise and did make me shed a few tears. Especially because David was the one that performed the murder-suicide.

End Spoilers!

No comments:

Post a Comment