Wednesday 28 November 2018

Everything, Everything - by Nicola Yoon

Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Published: 1 Sep 2015
Series: -
Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis:
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.
But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

Wanting just leads to more wanting. There's no end to desire.

I received this book as an ebook from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

It was interesting reading about 'bubble baby disease' as I hadn't heard much about it before. The name of the disease is fairly self-explanatory, but it was still interesting to hear about the bits I hadn't known before.

Something I've noticed in many TV shows, movies and books I've watched and read seems to be that most people say "Welcome to our new home!" when they get to a new house. I still have no idea why people do that.

It's nice how Madeleine is half-Japanese and half-African American but it's not a big deal. But I think that my favourite character in the book was probably Olly, followed by Carla as they both cared for Madeleine and both had a sense of humour.

I'd like to know more about her dad and her brother - what her mum remembered them being like, the little things her brother would do for his younger sister, the jokes her dad would tell...

Spoilers!

Why is there usually a "breath/tension they didn't realise they'd been holding" variation in YA? Beginning to get sick of seeing that.

I did love that Olly was good to her and that he cared for her, but I also feel like there was a sort of insta-love too.

Zach being gay was great as Olly and Madeleine didn't make a big deal about it - it's just part of who Zach is as a person.

Why yes, I did indeed cry at the ending.

End Spoilers!

No comments:

Post a Comment