Wednesday 18 April 2018

This Shattered World - by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Title: This Shattered World
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Published: 19 Nov 2014
Series: Starbound #2
Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis:
Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.
Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.
Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.
Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.


You dragged me out of my bar, shot me, forced me to breathe chemical fumes, took me into the middle of nowhere, drugged me, then tied me to a post in an underground cave. How do you THINK I'm feeling?

I listened to this as an audiobook.

As the book goes on, you get to see Flynn and Jubilee go from enemies to allies to friends, which I love. You get to watch the relationship between the two change and grow.

My favourite thing about Lee was her sarcasm. She had similar responses to what I might have said myself.

"My hero," the words pop out, dripping with malice before I can stop them. Mock the guy AFTER you get your water, I remind myself.

I  cried when the explosion went off though. If you've read the book, you'll know why.

For some odd reason, I also pictured McBride as Jai Courteney who plays Eric in the Divergent movie. Couldn't tell you why, but that's how I pictured him. Maybe because they're both jerks and super mean?

I'm the one who wants to talk to you. She's the one who wants to break your legs. Let's start with the talking.

I like how this book ties in with the first in this series, These Broken Stars, as we see a bit of Tarver and Lilac, and we also hear things from the Whispers.

Amie and Meagan do a wonderful job of writing these books together and can't wait to read the last one!

__________________________________________________

All books in this series:

    1 | These Broken Stars
 1.5 | This Night So Dark
    2 | This Shattered World
    3 | Their Fractured Light

No comments:

Post a Comment